Top Of My Head


Top Of My Head is proud to be Hosted by:

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Domesticated Bliss

Yesterday, at around 1:30 PM, Cheryl and I, along with my parents and our good friend, Jerri and Preston, walked into the Racine County Courthouse and registered for domestic partnership. There's a five day waiting period, so next week, we have to go back and file the paperwork with the County Clerk's office. Some of our friends and family members read about this yesterday on our facebook pages. Some of our friends have asked what all this entails and I thought I should post a brief outline of our rights.
  • Inheritance and Survivor Protections
  • Family and Medical Leave
  • Medical, Hospital and Visitation Rights
  • Prevention of one Partner from testifying against another Partner
  • Transfer of real estate and car and boat titles are exempt from fees.

There are 43 state rights / protections granted to domestic partnerships, as opposed to the 200 protections offered by marriage.

Just thought I'd fill you in.

God Bless

No comments: