Top Of My Head


Top Of My Head is proud to be Hosted by:

Thursday, July 16, 2009

What's Wrong With America

We are. That's right, it is us citizens. You see, not only do we want things to be perfect, but we're not really wanting to work for it. I'm not talking about people who go to work to earn money. I'm talking about the work it takes to keep our great country great.
Case in point, on Facebook, I challenged someone's statement that President Obama had promised to fix Iraq and Afghanistan in 6 months. I hadn't heard that in a campaign speech and I said so. Instead of responding with an intelligent response to back up the claim, the response was "whatever".
I get that a lot. You can't have an intelligent debate anymore in this country -- on the right or the left -- because there aren't enough intelligent people to go around. It ends in name calling or shrugs. There is middle ground, not every issue is black and white. If you take out the ones the right-wing Christians care about -- abortion, gay rights and the death penalty -- the rest are things we can discuss, debate and come to a consensus on, but we don't.
We all just make blanket statements and we don't do any research to back them up. I'm all for everyone having their own opinion, but I think we've gone too far.
And, I blame Rush Limbaugh. Seriously, I think he was the start of no debate. Callers who agree will just say Ditto and callers who disagree don't get a chance to say anything at all and/or they get made fun of. Admittedly, I haven't listened to Rush Limbaugh in well over 15 years, so he might've changed.
It's really too bad we've come to this because no President stands much of a chance and if we keep it up, we as a country don't either.
God Bless

No comments: