Top Of My Head


Top Of My Head is proud to be Hosted by:

Friday, July 03, 2009

Thank a Vet

This past weekend, I went to my family reunion and listened to a conversation my Uncle Bill and my father were having regarding waterboarding. I was going to write about how my views differ from theirs, but I'll save that for later. I want to tell you all about my dad and my Uncle Bill.


Now, my dad is one tough man. Frankly, I think John Wayne was a wuss when held up next to my old man. He's seventy-two and can still wipe the floor with mine and my brothers' butts. I've never tried taking on my Uncle Bill, but I'm pretty sure he could take me. These are the guys who fought in Vietnam and didn't come home with any problems and they didn't complain. They just did their duty and served their country proud. Uncle Bill served in the Air Force for at least twenty years and retired as an E8. My father served in the Navy for twenty years and retired as an E7 -- Pop doesn't take orders as nicely as Uncle Bill.


These are the guys who taught me to respect our servicemen and women, especially my dad. In fact, Pop taught me that if you see a man with a service hat on - you know the ones I mean, that mention they ship they served on or I'm a Veteran - you need to thank that man for your freedom and I always do. When I see men and women in uniform at the mall or in the airport or wherever I am, I try to shake their hand and thank them for their continuing service. I'm trying to teach Danny and Alex to do the samething, but they might be a little too young.


So, on this day, while most of us are off work because tomorrow is the Fourth of July, I just wanted to ask everyone of you who reads this to take the time to thank a vet. And, if you don't know one or don't see one, take a little time to think about America's Veterans. All over the world, there are men and women in the Navy, Air Force, Army, Marines and Coast Guard who won't be celebrating with barbecues and hot dogs, because they're standing watch and protecting our freedom. Please join with me and say a little prayer for them.


Lastly, I know this is a bumber sticker saying, but it doesn't mean it isn't right:

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you can read this in English, thank a Vet.

God Bless

No comments: