Top Of My Head


Top Of My Head is proud to be Hosted by:

Monday, July 06, 2009

Well done, Congressman Peter King

From CNN...

"New York Rep. Peter King called on the media to "knock out the psycho-babble" and stop covering Michael Jackson because "this guy was a pervert.""

I wish my Congressional Representative had these kinds of balls as Peter King of New York does.  I read some of the comments below the article and I saw this one written by Vic from New York:

"July 6th, 2009 9:44 am ET

Dear Mr. King,

I'm no Jackson fan, but your comments are the the kind of Right-Wing psycho talk that juxtaposes you kind at the opposite end of the spectrum - but just as bad if not worse - than the behaviors you claim to revile.

John Dean calls it "Conservatives without Compassion". I call it the right wing Nazi Cabaret of extremist repression oriented doctrine.

No Thanks! If faced with picking between the "worst of the worst" - I'll take Jackson over your ilk hands down."

Well, I've got to disagree.  With the passing of Michael Jackson, we've proven that what becomes news is what sells and not what is truly important.  At first, I was angry because his death overshadowed Farrah's and I liked her better, but now it has been more than a week and CNN still has a huge headline.  Our news channels have become all Michael, all the time.  What he did his last hours - why it took so long for the ambulance to get there -- who gets his kids, etc. etc.

Ignoring the fact that he was an alleged child molestor, Michael Jackson was a singer and a dancer and that's pretty much it.  He didn't find a cure for cancer or bring peace to the middle east.  He sang and dance.  I know that singers, dancers and actors have a place in our daily lives.  They make us laugh, their movies make us forget our own issues or even, keep us at the edge of our seats.  A good song by a great singer or group of singers can inspire thousands to move mountains and that right there is the worth the price of admission.

And, it is sad when one of our stars leaves the planet for that great soundstage in the sky, but to obsess about one man is definitely not healthy.  So, to all the news outlets who are just playing into this so-called period of national mourning, get over it.  We need to go back to study more important issues.

One last thought, I remember those 14 weeks in 2005 when MJ was on trial.  It seems we lost our collective mind back then, too.  So, yet again, MJ has pushed important news that will probably affect our futures for sometime to come right off the front page. <sigh>

To the Jackson Family, I offer heartful prayers and thoughts.  I can't imagine losing a child or a sibling or a parent in such a public arena.  I pray that all of you will be able to find some sort of peace Michael has now found.

To the rest of us gawkers and hangers on, stop reading the crap and they'll stop printing it.

God Bless us all

No comments: