Top Of My Head


Top Of My Head is proud to be Hosted by:

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Veteran's Data Stolen...

A Department of Veterans Affairs computer analyst had their laptop and external harddrive stolen from their home. The Department of Veterans Affairs have not identified the individual, but they did say that the person is "administrative leave."

So, let me get this straight, you're not allowed to take home this kind of data -- you do take it home and you get an Administrative Leave?!? Excuse me, does that mean you're still on MY payroll, as it is MY tax dollars that pays YOUR salary?

According to the CNN article, "The computer disk contained the names, Social Security numbers and birth dates of every living veteran from 1975 to the present, Veterans Affairs Secretary Jim Nicholson said Monday."

Okay, my father did not retire from the NAVY until 1976. My younger brother served 18 months in the NAVY between 1988 and 1990. I have a cousin who just left the NAVY last year and a couple more cousins and an Uncle who served in the AIR FORCE. It seems to me that what all this means is that a large portion of my family have their private information compromised.

So, what's the government going to do about this? This information included their Social Security numbers and some information about the service members' spouses.

AND, THEY DIDN'T TELL ANYONE FOR 19 DAYS. Perhaps this was just a random event and the burglar doesn't know what information he/she has, but it's possible that it WASN'T a random event -- where's the information now?

God Bless

No comments: