Top Of My Head


Top Of My Head is proud to be Hosted by:

Thursday, May 25, 2006

The End is near...

And it is being led by Verizon, Bell South, AT&T and Time Warner...

First, I barely have the extra money I spend each year to keep my two paid for websites -- topofmyhead.info and eskielover.com -- up and running. I don't make a lot of money from my CafePress site, nor from the few Amazon and Google Ads I have up and running. So, if Congress doesn't choose to protect the little guy -- mainly, me -- I will be dropping off the web and I'm not alone. Many of the blogs that we all like to read are not in a position to stay off if they have to pay an extra fee. Include in that the webcomics and personal webpages and a lot of real Americans will be disenfranchised by the Internet.

Second, I take Online Classes -- will my college be able to pay the extra fees to the carriers so I can bring up a webpage? And, if they don't pay and the page loads slow anyway, why should I bother paying the high fee I pay for Cable Internet Access? If it's going to run slow, then I'll just drop back down to a local dial up service. Won't make any difference to me. I'm sure that a lot of people will continue to pay the high rates, but I wish they wouldn't.

Third, why should I -- who pay for my RoadRunner access and the hosting fee for my websites be expected to have to pay more so my free site can be viewed? Just how many people do these companies think will actually pay for this kind of service?

Here's my suggestion, write a letter to your Internet provider and one of the other ones. Let them know that this is a dumb idea. Trust me, AT&T, Verizon, etc. are all ready making plenty of money off of all of us. If they push for this, I can guarantee you that I will never use any of their products again. Don't really care if I drop Cable TV -- it'll leave a lot more money each month to buy books and rent movies.

God Bless

No comments: