Top Of My Head


Top Of My Head is proud to be Hosted by:

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Are you listening, President Bush?

I call my mom from my cellphone quite a bit. It's easier for me to put my earplug in and yak with her on my drive home from work. Plus, I miss calling my now deceased grandmother on my long drives home and it is nice to talk to Mom -- most days.

Anyway, Mom is upset about all of this "spying" the government is doing on the average citizen. I tried to explain to her that there is no way for the government to listen in on all of our phone calls. There are 260 million people in this country -- if only half of them place a phone call in a day, that's still 130 million phone calls for the government to track. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not supporting the government's ability to listen in on any call they want without a warrant under any circumstances, but I'm not worried that President Bush is listening in.

My mother, and I think she's kidding, often tells me to watch my language if I say Ass or damn or, on the rare occasion I say something worst. She's worried the government will over hear my call to her and bust me for speaking obscenely. (I really hope she's kidding.)

This past weekend, I tried to explain to her that if the government was listening, they're probably listening for certain words, like bomb, blow up, terrorist, etc. and recording those calls. They can't possiblily be recording ALL of our calls ALL of the time.

So, for my mom's sake, Mr. President, if you are listening to my phone calls, please let my mom know that I'm really not wanted for swearing on the phone.

God Bless

1 comment:

Julie said...

Nate,

I guess blogs don't convey the feeling that I wish I could convey. I don't feel safer because the Bush administration is listening to us. I merely meant that he can't be listening to all of us all the time. It would be practically impossible.

I don't feel safe at the thought of anyone listening in, but I'm pretty sure if someone was listening in to Mom and my phone calls -- they've got to be bored out of their skulls.

This particular blog entry wasn't written with any seriousness in mind. Sometimes, I just think we've got to lighten up a little. Even about the bad stuff.

Thanks for reading!

God Bless!