Top Of My Head


Top Of My Head is proud to be Hosted by:

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Nothing Sacred

I’ve mentioned Louis Black in a previous post – look in the archives and you’ll find it.

Anyway, I’m reading his book Nothing Sacred. I have to tell you, it is good. At places, it is really, really funny, but more importantly, it is thought provoking. For example, on pages 10 and 11, he writes about playing war as a child. He ends this little look into his childhood by saying:

"It should be noted at this time not one of us ever had an interest in real guns or ever bought one. Then when it came to raising kids, my generation didn’t allow them to play with guns. That’s when things took an abrupt turn for the worse. I certainly wouldn’t say there is a connection, but it is strange that only a few kids play out these war fantasies in their backyards and yet there seems to be more violence among them.”
It made me stop and think for a moment. We are, certainly a much more violent society now than we were in the fifties and sixties. I don’t remember such violence encroaching on my childhood in the seventies.

So, my point is that you should read this book. I started it today at lunch and I’m almost done. It is a very quick read. And, if any of my family or friends are reading, my birthday is coming up and I would very much like an autograph copy of it. That would be a really cool gift for me.

God Bless,

You've got to see this guy. He's really funny! Take the time to check out Mr. Black's video "Black on Broadway".





No comments: