Top Of My Head


Top Of My Head is proud to be Hosted by:

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Obama and Foreclosed Houses

My dad was here today, along with my baby brother. Dad took us kids out for a late breakfast and Brian took care of the liter and other things I couldn't do because of my knee surgery. My dad made a comment about Obama "helping" me out and while I kind of let it go, the truth is my pop's is actually wrong.

Nothing Obama has done so far in office is truly going to help me. Tax breaks for families don't affect unmarried, childless couples. (I'm waiting on the tax break that is supposedly going to place an extra $13.00 a week into my pocket starting in June.)

But, even though I don't support everything in the stimulus, it's better than nothing. Now, I've been reading that Obama has an idea for bailing out 9 million families who are close to losing their houses. And, guess who is objecting even though the whole plan hasn't been revealed? Amazing, isn't it?

I'm not too thrilled at the idea that people who haven't paid their mortgages are going to get to keep their houses while I the taxpaying, home owning, mortgage paying person pays the bill. On the other hand, every home that is foreclosed brings down the housing prices in that area and that does affect me. My city isn't going to reduce the assessment of my home when houses are being foreclosed on. And, if they do, they'd probably raise my taxes in order to justify it.

And, wouldn't that suck?

According to President Obama, this plan won't help "'It will not rescue the unscrupulous or irresponsible by throwing good taxpayer money after bad loans. It will not help speculators who took risky bets on a rising market and bought homes not to live in but to sell," Obama said Wednesday. "It will not reward folks who bought homes they knew from the beginning they would never be able to afford.'" (quoted from CNN.com) Now, I know a family where they purchased a home they could afford, but the breadwinner lost his job and now they're struggling. If this is who will gain assistance, than I'm all for it. As far as the stupid idea that banks shouldn't be forced to have mortgages adjusted down, why not? Aren't they the morons who loaned this money in the first place? In some cases, they loaned to people irresponsibly now. Shouldn't they have to pay for that? And, here's something else. Why do we need 75 Billion dollars to help 9 million families? That does seem a bit high. I think I could do it cheaper. But, at least Obama is trying to do something. He's starting the dialogue.

Oh -- one last statement -- Republicans, you lost. You got us in this mess, so shut up. Most of us aren't listening to you jackasses anymore.

God Bless

No comments: