Top Of My Head


Top Of My Head is proud to be Hosted by:

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Race

This week -- for the first time in history -- a black man will become a major party's candidate for President of the United States of America. Forty years ago, another black man stood on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial and spoke about his dream. With Obama's nomination, you would think that Martin Luther King's dream has come true.

It hasn't.

Last week, a young white woman (20 years old) was talking to me and said (and I'm quoting): There's two sides to every story, unless they're black. They always lie.

Yesterday, a white 40 year old male said to me (and I'm quoting, again): If Obama wins, blacks will start thinking they have power.

Now, I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't say or do anything that would counter these quotes. Truth be told, I was shocked speechless. Racist remarks, especially by someone younger than I am, still stuns me. I cannot believe that in the year 2008 that people still feel this way about other races.

I'm not going to proclaim that a great many of my friends are black because it isn't true. I have a couple black friends. I attended a mixed race schools and the one thing I've learned about blacks is they're really just like whites. So, how could it be that there are still people - under the age of 60 - that do not believe in the equality of the races?

With Barack Obama making history, you would think that Martin Luther King's dream of a world where the races lived together in harmony would be reality.

Too bad it isn't.

God Bless

No comments: