Top Of My Head


Top Of My Head is proud to be Hosted by:

Monday, August 04, 2008

Internet Postings and Job Searches

I'm sure you've all seen the same articles I've seen about how someone posted a picture from their trip to Mexico or some other occasion where they had too much to drink and they lost their chance at a job. Well, I've recently joined Facebook in order to help promote my t-shirt designs. Turns out a lot of my family members are on there, so I'm spending more time on Facebook than I had anticipated.

At first, when I put up my profile, I kept it short and sweet. No book listings, no movies, etc. I was thinking of my future -- in case a future employer checks up on me none of my movie or book choices could possibly offend. Then, I thought, wait a second, do I really want to work for someone who would be offended by my choice of movie or book? Do I really want to work for someone who wouldn't hire me because I'm a lesbian who likes to post pictures of my grandsons? Do I really want to work for someone who can't look past my political leanings and realize that I'm damn good at my job?

I realized that the answer is no, no I don't want to work for someone who isn't going to see the best Data Analyst on the planet and only see the grandmother (admittedly, the very young and beautiful grandmother). I don't want to work for someone who hates lesbians and would hold that against me when I need to take a day off because Cheryl needs me to go with her to the doctor. I don't want to work for someone who doesn't notice that I can write SQL code better than anyone else I've ever met, but notices the grey in my hair.

Now, you'll never see a picture of me on any site where I'm drunk and half out of my mind, because I don't drink that much. But, you might -- you just might -- see a picture of me singing Karaoke with my lovely wife at a bar and, you know what, if that bothers you, then don't hire me.

God Bless

No comments: