Top Of My Head


Top Of My Head is proud to be Hosted by:

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Godspeed, Del Martin

I just saw on the CNN Wire that Del Martin passed away at the age of 87. She and her wife, Phyllis Lyon, co-founded the Daughters of Bilitis, as well as the Alice B. Toklas Democratic Club. Because of Mrs. Martin and Mrs. Lyon, I have rights in Wisconsin I wouldn't have had without those who came before me. We still have a long way to go, but we're moving in the right direction.

Mrs. Martin and Mrs. Lyon exchanged vows of matromony on June 16th of this year, becoming legally married. However; apparently the copy writer didn't refer to Mrs. Lyon as Mrs. Martin's wife, the article refers to her as partner -- like it was some sort of business relationship.

I've posted the article below.

So, Godspeed Mrs. Martin and thanks for all you did for me. Bless you, Mrs. Lyon. I can't imagine what it must be like to lose your wife of 55 years.

And, to the small minded people who can't seem to type wife and type partner instead, kiss my lesbian ass.

And, if you're waiting for the normal God Bless, I don't feel like sending blesses to straight people today.

So, God Bless the Lesbians and Gays who came before me.



SAN FRANCISCO, California (CNN) - Lesbian activist Del Martin, at the forefront of the battle for same-sex marriage in California, died Wednesday in San Francisco. She was 87.

Martin's partner of 55 years, Phyllis Lyon, was by her side at the UCSF hospice, the National Center for Lesbian Rights said. Martin and Lyon, 84, tied the knot on June 16 in a ceremony officiated by San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom.

Long before Massachusetts and then California legalized same-sex marriage, Lyon and Martin were integral parts of the early movement for lesbian and gay rights.

In 1955, they founded the nation's first lesbian organization, the Daughters of Bilitis, and launched the first lesbian publication, The Ladder. Martin co-founded the Council on Religion and the Homosexual, and was also a founding member of several other organizations, including the Lesbian Mother's Union, the San Francisco Women's Centers and the Bay Area Women's Coalition. She and Lyon were co-founders of the first gay political group in the United States, the Alice B. Toklas Democratic Club, named for author Gertrude Stein's long-time partner.

No comments: