Top Of My Head


Top Of My Head is proud to be Hosted by:

Thursday, October 26, 2006

The 700 mile Border Fence

Truth be told, I'm not sure if I support a 700 mile fence along the US - Mexican border. On one hand, I think it is a needless expense. On the other hand, the economy could use the jobs it would create.

But, I do know this, I don't support Bush signing a law authorizing the fence, but no authorizing the money. Just how much is this fence going to cost us? According to CNN, "
The act provides no funding mechanism for the fence, though a $1.2 billion appropriation was approved as part of a bill the president signed this month. There are no concrete numbers, but estimates suggest the fence would cost twice that amount. The earlier bill, however, stipulates that the $1.2 billion could be used for a fence, lighting, vehicle barriers and high-tech equipment." So, could this fence really cost us $2.4 billion? And, who's going to pay for that? Will we cut federal school money to pay for it? How are the owners' of the property the fence cuts through going to be compensated?

Did anyone really think about this?

How do the border guards feel? They're the ones that'll end up maintaining/watching over it?

Will these questions ever be answered?

Stay tuned. :-)

God Bless

1 comment:

WatchdogMilwaukee.com said...

Maybe they could pay for it with the massive surplus in President Bush's budget...

Oh wait, that's a massive deficit. Hmm... well maybe he can get his big oil fat cats to chip in.

I won't hold my breath.