Top Of My Head


Top Of My Head is proud to be Hosted by:

Thursday, March 23, 2006

An interesting slip of the tongue

So, tell me, just how does one mean the word coup and say the word coon? When I think of coup, I think overthrow, so I don't think the word coon would come out of my mouth.

But, they did come out of Dave Lenihan's mouth, while he was praising Condoleeza Rice. He said, according to the CNN article,
"She's been chancellor of Stanford. She's got the patent resume of somebody that has serious skill. She loves football. She's African-American, which would kind of be a big coon. A big coon. Oh my God. I am totally, totally, totally, totally, totally sorry for that."


So, here's my take on it.

First, I don't believe someone should be fired for the slip of the tongue. It seems to me he didn't mean to say the word. Plus, I don't think you should be fired ever for something you said.

Second, I just wonder -- and I don't know anything about this DJ -- but I just wonder if deep down inside, he meant it. I mean, a lot of the right-wing conservatives I know are closet bigots -- so, while Mr. Lenihan was praising MS Rice was it really killing him to do so? It's just a thought and probably a mean one at that, I'm just curious.

God Bless

2 comments:

Ontario Emperor said...

Two comments:

Lenihan's explanation is that he inadvertently contracted "coup in."

Regarding right-wing bigots, don't forget that there are left-wing bigots too. Remember "Hymietown"?

Julie said...

First, okay, I hadn't seen that explanation. Not sure why he would've finished his sentence with coup in, but I'll give him the benefit of doubt. I still stand behind my statement that he shouldn't have been fired.

Second, Jesse Jackson uttered that remark in 1984. See how far back you have to go to find a bigot on the left side of the street?

Although, I do know a couple of bigots who lean to the left, so I know they are out there -- there's just less of them.

Thanks for posting.