Top Of My Head


Top Of My Head is proud to be Hosted by:

Monday, March 20, 2006

Another Reason Straights Should Not Be Parents

Maybe, I'm just still angry about a discussion I had with my manicurist on Saturday. She kept bringing up ways that a child would suffer if reared by gay parents.

So, I tried to educate her on the ins and outs of parenting. I let her know that studies have been conducted and gay parents fair about the same as straight parents. Children of gays do not suffer from strange ailments any more so than children of straights do.

Then, I see the headline on CNN, reminding me of the couple who locked their 11 adopted, handicap children in cages in the basement and I think -- Gays are bad parents?

I have not read one story -- seen one newscast -- been told one tale by anybody that showed a gay parent abusing their child in some manner -- NOT ONE.

And, yet, when I mention my desire to be a parent, I'm told all sorts of made up horror stories that a child -- who isn't even here -- will have to suffer through because he or she will have two moms.

So, for all those out there who seem to think gays are bad parents, read the article. These are straight, upstanding American parents. I'll bet they even voted Republican.

They abused their children -- and, worst than that, they aren't alone.

God bless those poor kids. I hope they find happiness with better parents who will love them.

God have mercy on the souls of those who helped these two monsters become parents.

God bless the rest of us.

3 comments:

Ross said...

I have nothing against gay parents. I think, obviously, there are both straight and gay couples who are bad parents, more straights because there are more of them.
When I was younger, I was raised in the church, very close-minded, and I grew up thinking that gays were evil. Now, after going out, educating myself, and experiencing life outside of the small town mentality, I realize that's not true. I'm a teacher now, and a parent (a straight parent, not that it matters).
I don't care if someone is gay, straight, alien, purple, whatever, as long as they treat their children right. People who assume that gay=evil are just wrong, it has nothing to do with that. If someone is a good parent, treats their kids right, and does their job as a parent, I don't care what their sexual preference is. Of course, I'm in the minority on this.

Julie said...

Ross,

First, I hope you realized that I don't really believe straight people should not be parents.

Second, I'm glad that you know that gays are not intrinsically evil.

Finally, thanks for posting.

God Bless

Julie said...

Lee,

I was reared in a house that had a mom and a dad. Both my parents were involved in the raising of their children. Did they make mistakes, sure, but that's not really my point.

Nothing in their home would have set me on a course to being gay. I have two straight younger brothers.

By the way, the majority of children reared by homosexual couples grow up to be straight, not gay. I have not seen one study that has shown that having two parents of the same sex is determental to the children of that couple. Not one.

Further, you stated, "you have not considered the fairness of exposing children to a lifestyle that tends to force their hand" as someone with basic sense, you should know that life is just not fair. Is it fair that one child is born to loving parents and one child is born to abusive parents? Is it fair that some children in this country go to sleep at night in warm beds, with full bellys, surrounded with love while others are lucky if their parents can find room at a shelter?

No, it isn't fair.

I have a very close family and know that my son or daughter will be reared with strong role models of both sex. My child will, also, be reared with a strong sense of family, community and faith in God.

I don't think it would be fair to give him or her anything less than that.

Thanks for reading and God Bless.

Julie