Top Of My Head


Top Of My Head is proud to be Hosted by:

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Wisconsin State Senate...

The Senate put off until today the vote on the anti-gay ban. I am begging you to please contact your Senator as soon as you get this and beg them to vote No for the amendment.

This amendment will not only ban gay marriages, but it will ban civil unions. It will invalidate all living wills gay people currently have with their partners. It will, also, invalidate the living wills that straight unmarried couples have together. Further, this amendment will make it legal to give health benefits to domestic partners -- no matter what the sexual orientation.

We have to stop the amendment now, not wait until it comes for a vote in November. It is despicable that our Senate has chosen to not protect rights of the citizens of the state of Wisconsin.

Further, this amendment, which should matter most to you, our friends and family, is the fact that it will hurt Cheryl and myself. It will hurt us in our jointly owned property, our health benefits and our family.

Please contact your State Senator and ask them to not vote for this terrible and disgusting amendment. The number is SJR 53. If you don't know who your state senator is, please go to this link: http://165.189.139.210/WAML/

2 comments:

Bob P said...

Julie,

I so hope you're successful in defeating yet another attempt in our nation to legislate bigotry and homophobia. Despite the fact that I'm not a resident of Wisconsin, I'd be glad (and GLAAD) to write to key State Senators if you'd let me know who those individuals are.

I was vilified somewhat in the TPMCafe the other day for likening the recent wave of amendments prohibiting same-sex marriage to apartheid, American-style. But I don't think my use of the term was overreaching. My wife and I believe the prejudicial, Administration-sanctioned attitudes and legislation targeting the gay community are heinous, shameful, the very atithesis of what we thought was the promise of America. That they are enacted in the name of Christian family values makes them doubly egregious.

You have my support and best wishes for success. Hoping that you, Cheryl, and your loved ones have a Merry Christmas and happy holiday season. We're glad that you can at least share it with each other, no matter how many idiots are trying to prevent it.

Bob P

Julie said...

Bob,

I wish there was someone to whom you could write, but unfortunately, the Republican State Senators hit the nails in our coffins and passed the hurtful, hateful amendment.

Thanks so much for your Christmas wishes. I extend the same to you and yours.

God Bless.