Top Of My Head


Top Of My Head is proud to be Hosted by:

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

OSHA and Abercrombie & Finch

I read in a right-wing blog not too long ago that OSHA should be disbanded. That it has outlived its usefulness, etc. I don't remember which blog, but if I find it, I'll post it.

So, I guess four weeks ago TMJ4 in Milwaukee did a report on the noise levels in Abercrombie and other stores in Brookfield mall in Milwaukee. Apparently, these stores had noise levels reaching above 85 decibels.

After the report, OSHA sent Abercrombie a letter ordering them to turn down the music. And, Abercrombie & Finch raised the level of the music -- raised it! Now, it is over 90 decibels. (Just an FYI, anything above 85 can result in permament hearing loss.)

My father is 75% deaf, besides genetics, his hearing loss is probably a direct result of the noisy boiler rooms and machinery he worked with for almost fourty years. I can understand his hearing loss, as no one knew that prolonged exposure to loud noises could harm your hearing quite like they do now.

However, our children shouldn't suffer from hearing loss because the part-time job they took in high school.

The manger at Abercrombie when told by the TMJ4 reporter to turn the music down: "Thing is, I'm just the manager. You can take it up with corporate."

Corporate didn't respond to the reporter's phone calls.

The manager went on to say, "We choose to work here. We're not really...obviously none of these kids care about it. They like it."

So, why write this blog?

Don't bother shopping at Abercrombie & Finch this holiday season or at anytime until they turn down the music.

God Bless

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness you wrote about this very real health hazard to shoppers and store clerks alike. I am a middle-aged adult who refuses to enter both Abercrombie and Abercrombie-owned Hollister because these stores play music much too loud for either comfort or safety.

I have hearing that tests as "normal" with little if any discernible hearing loss, and I intend to keep it that way as long as possible. I have seen the effects of hearing loss in my father who is 90.

Abercrombie, Hollister, you can count on missing out on my business -- which would have meant some healthy gift certificates this season -- unless you turn-down the music in your stores; it's just too loud!