Top Of My Head


Top Of My Head is proud to be Hosted by:

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Gas Prices

This morning I filled up my gas tank and paid $3.19 a gallon.  Being the anal person that I am, I keep track of how much gas I buy and how much it cost per gallon and per tank, etc. in this little notebook.  My current notebook goes all the way back to Oct. 2002.  In Oct. 2002, I was paying between $1.55 and $1.59 per gallon for gas.  In less than 6 years, I'm now paying more than double for that same gallon of gas.

In 6 years, my salary hasn't doubled, which probably explains why I can't seem to make ends meet.  I don't live high on the hog.  I'm not spending tons of money on junk.  Even though I love video games and books, I limit my purchasing of both.  Whenever possible, I purchase my video games used (and I use my little percent off card to save even more money).  Books are more of a downfall to me, but I usually don't purchase a book unless I've taken it out of the library and read it.  I don't willy nilly invest in books, as it is more of a collection I have than books just to have them.

So, when I pumped my gas today and put $50.00 plus dollars in there, I just cried a little tear.  That was two used video games or one autographed book going to get me to work.

What a waste.

God Bless

2 comments:

Zeta Thompson said...

Ahh, perhaps it is time we start to look at how we live. Why do we commute so far? Why is public transportation so complicated? I have friends in Europe do you know that in most of Europe people have been paying over $5.00 a gallon for years? Maybe, just maybe we need to reexamine a few things. Companies need to hire from their immediate community first, telecommuting should be more common, and last but not least it should not take 3 hours to get from one place to another on public trans when it takes 40 minutes to drive there.

Julie said...

I can tell you why I commute so far. There aren't any jobs in my hometown that pay as well as jobs in Milwaukee do. Now, when I first started commuting to Milwaukee, it was worth the money -- very little was spent on transportation, but now, I'm spending twice as much and I'm thinking a pay cut to be closer to home just might be the ticket.