Top Of My Head


Top Of My Head is proud to be Hosted by:

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Patriot Act

It should come as no surprise that I am against the Patriot Act. First, I'd like to note that it is very poorly named. Patriot is defined as "One who loves, supports, and defends one's country." The Patriot Act does not love the country -- certainly isn't supporting it -- and does not defend America against her enemies.

I don't think it is the government's business what books I buy at Barnes and Noble. I don't think they should be able to get a list of the books I've read at my local library. And, I'd like to note that I have deliberately taken questionable books out of the library just to see if our government is paying attention -- it isn't. No call from the FBI, no investigation, well, none that I know about and that's another thing... Since when can the government search without notifying. Where in the constitution is that part written? Hmmm?

I really question those people who support the Patriot Act. On occasions, they are the same people who don't support equal rights and who complain that the constitution isn't being followed. In recent history, our rights have never been so amended as when -- in a moment of panic and fear -- Congress passed the Patriot Act.

And, now, it is up for renewal and 6 Senators are standing up for our rights as citizens: Feingold, D-WI; Craig, R-Idaho; Durbin, D-Ill.; Sununu, R-N.H.; Salazar, D-Colo.; and Murkowski, R-Alaska.

I believe that Ben Franklin -- remember him, one of our founding fathers -- said that those who do not protect freedom in the name of security deserve neither. (I'll get the actual quote for you.)

Read the article, take a look at the Act itself and make up your own mind. When you're done, contact your Senator and tell him or her just how you feel.

Let's take back our government.

God Bless.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Hopefully, in 2008 the red states will have their belly full of the extreme right-wing and come back to their senses. I'm not too keen on the Democrats either, but at least I won't have to worry about my rights with them.
Thomas Jefferson said that a revolution every twenty years would be a good thing. Maybe, we need one now.
Thanks for posting!
Julie

Anonymous said...

It is high time the Goverment stops stepping on the constitution, and starts protecting it. It is not just a god damed piece of paper as stated by our President, but was fought for in many wars, of which many lives were lost!

Julie said...

I must have missed where our President said that the Constitution is nothing more than a piece of paper. I would like to see that in writing or video. Please post again and let me know where I can find it, because we've lost a lot of Americans in various wars defending that piece of paper.

thanks for posting!

Anonymous said...

It's no longer a matter of red state or blue state. The writing is on the wall, and it's in black and white. Our Constitution is in harm's way. Our leader will soon be our masters: tyrannical, ravenous and loathsome. If you have a soul, if you value your liberty, if We The People still means anything to you: then you need to go to http://www.freedomtofascism.com/index.html and hold on to your hat. It’s real, it’s true, and it is happening, Now! I’m no alarmist, but what I learned on this site is absolutely terrifying.