Top Of My Head


Top Of My Head is proud to be Hosted by:

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

And, the bad out of Iraq

Follow up on Berkeley...

Apparently, pro-war protesters are now protesting the anti-war protesters. You can get the whole story on CNN, but there was one quote that I wanted to address:

"Their treasonous action, especially at this time of war right now, is not acceptable," said Mary Pearson, a spokeswoman for the group Move America Forward.

According to dictionary.com," Treason is any attempt to overthrow the government or impair the well-being of a state to which one owes allegiance; the crime of giving aid or comfort to the enemies of one's government."

The people of Berkeley are not committing Treason and their actions are not treasonous (which means: "having the character of, or characteristic of, a traitor; "the faithless Benedict Arnold"").

Protesting is not an act of treason. It is my belief that it is as American as Apple Pie. Standing up for what you believe is part of being an American. Now, I support both sides' right to protest and speak out, but let's save the treason word for those who really mean our country harm.

God Bless

2 comments:

Zeta Thompson said...

Uh, Excuse me.. But I thought the whole idea was were were permitted to express a DIFFERENT OPINION than the government. Maybe I misread the history of the US and why it was founded.

Julie said...

I'm very sorry to tell you this, Zeta, but when we elected Bush, we gave away our right to protest and think for ourselves.