Top Of My Head


Top Of My Head is proud to be Hosted by:

Thursday, March 08, 2007

57 Chevy vs 07 Impala

So, I'm reading the AARP Bulletin this morning and on the last page there is a comparison between the 57 Chevy and the 07 Impala. The Impala offers the standard features (air conditioning, power steering) that were considered optional on the 57 Chevy (although, that plush pile carpeting sounds pretty good). Anyway, the MPG on a 57 Chevy V-8 was 14. Pretty impressive for 50 years ago. The Impala is only 18MPG on the V-8 model.

How could we only gain 4MPG in 50 years? Shouldn't our technology alone account for more that 4MPG? I would think so.

Admittedly, all I know about cars is how to check the oil and add gas. I'm not a car buff. I'm driving a car that's 7 years old, so I don't have the latest and greatest model. But, I still find it hard to believe that we can only gain 4MPG in 50 years. Maybe that's why the top three car manufacturers in 1957 were Ford, GM and Chrysler and now they're Toyota, GM and Ford.

God Bless

1 comment:

Xial said...

You would figure, honestly, that we'd be up to thirty-six miles per gallon by now, instead of a measly eighteen.

Given that we have space age materials we can use to trim weight off the engine and off the body, more things we can lighten up in the vehicle to prevent the weight of the car itself from eating so much fuel...

I think it's because as a country, we don't seem to be showing a real care.
For a good while, people were trending toward gas guzzling SUVs, Hummers, and other junk like that.
That doesn't help the issue at all. :)

Just something to chew on.