Top Of My Head


Top Of My Head is proud to be Hosted by:

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I'm not homophobic! I'm not homophobic!

Theresa R. Deschenes is being sued by a civil rights advocate's office in Rhode Island for verbally harassing and threatening her gay neighbor. According to the article in the NY Blade, Deschenes threatened to kill Kenneth Potts "if you do anything to my daughter."

A similar article on 247 Gay supports this, but has an added paragraph that states, "The Providence Journal reports that during the injunction hearing Potts, 48, testified how his relationship with Deschenes got off poorly in March as he was preparing to move into the apartment house. Soon after telling Deschenes that he was gay and ill, Potts said he received a phone call from Deschenes after she had left her young daughter alone in the apartment upstairs."

Now, we all know that I am all for people being able to say what they want, when they want. If you want to let me know that you disapprove of me because of my religion, sexual orientation or fatness, go right ahead, BUT you have no right to make me uncomfortable in my own home or threaten my life. That falls under the category of harassment and it is wrong. You wouldn't want me to come to your house and announce to your neighbors that you're a jerk, so don't come to mine and do the same thing.

That said, what really caught my eye for this whole thing is that Deschenes claims that despite the
anti-gay slurs she used, she isn't homophobic. Really? Your first thought when dealing with a gay neighbor is to make anti-gay comments and you're NOT homophobic? Girl, you're living in a dream world. You're homophobic. Trust me I know.

On a good note,
Deschenes apologized for her comments. So, Potts should forgive her, as a good Christian should. Let the healing begin.

God Bless

No comments: