Top Of My Head


Top Of My Head is proud to be Hosted by:

Friday, July 21, 2006

The World has lost its Collective Mind...

With Israel at war, the US at war, gas prices rocketing and the economy beginning to sink, you would think I would have something better to write about than an artist from a New York Times article.

But, hey, it's Friday and I don't.

The artist, Donny Johnson, is serving three -- that's 3 -- life sentences. He and "two friends had stabbed an acquaintance to death after a party in San Jose, in a dispute over the sale of cigarettes laced with PCP." Later, while in prison, Johnson killed a guard.

Now, he paints using the dye from M&Ms and his work, which can be seen on the NY Times Website is very colorful. It really isn't my kind of art.

At first, I was totally appalled that 500 people attended a man who is in prison for life art show.

I mean, the guy is a murderer for pete's sake! Why are we paying attention to him.

And, then, after viewing the slideshow and reading the whole story, I'm thinking, this might not be a bad thing. First, the guy didn't start doing these to end up in an art gallery. He did it to prevent himself from going mad while living in an 8-by-12-foot concrete cell and having no human contact. The fact that some people think enough of them to buy them, well, that's not my fault.

Second, since he is not allowed to profit while in prison, "he intends to donate the money to the Pelican Bay Prison Project, a nonprofit group that will use it to help the children of prisoners." I'm all for giving money to charity, as you know. Plus, if there is a way to prevent the children of prisoners from ending up like there locked up parents -- I'm all for that, too.

Finally, I think about Jesus and what He would teach. One, he teaches forgiveness and, while I don't believe it is up to me to forgive him, I think about how Jesus would forgive him. Two, Jesus said we should visit those in prison.

God Bless

No comments: