Top Of My Head


Top Of My Head is proud to be Hosted by:

Monday, June 28, 2010

I just sent the following email to my state Senator and my state Representative. If you live in WI, I suggest you read it, steal it and send it to your Wisconsin State Representatives. Let's get this changed. I took out the Senator's name before posting it here. Make sure you fill in your Representative's name and information. Also, if you don't know who they are, go to this site, enter your address and your Representatives will appear. http://www.legis.wisconsin.gov/w3asp/waml/waml.aspx

Feel free to make any changes to the below text. Also, if you don't live in WI, investigate your state's laws.


Dear Senator/Representative,

I hope this email finds you quite well.

Recently, it has come to my attention that Wisconsin's laws regarding pepper spray leave much to be desired. Currently, our state law requires the following:

1. Have a total weight on not less than 15 grams nor more than 60 grams (According to the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection.

2. Cannot contain UV dye

I propose that we change both of these requirements. Allow me to explain.

Why are we determining how little a canister may hold? Wouldn't it be best for the consumer to be allowed to carry a canister much smaller than the 15 grams required by law? Most carriers of pepper spray are women and if they could carry a canister on a key chain, it would most likely do them much more good than to carry the canister on a belt or have it be buried in the bottom of their purse.

Regarding point 2, if a person defending themselves sprays someone with pepper spray that contains a non-toxic UV dye, doesn't this make it easier for police to catch the suspect? They can simply shine a black light on the offender and identify him or her.

I would hope, Senator/Representative, that you or your staff will research this matter and, perhaps, work to change the law as it is now in effect.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you regarding this matter.

Sincerely,

No comments: