Top Of My Head


Top Of My Head is proud to be Hosted by:

Friday, May 28, 2010

Protect Drug Addicts?

There's a Milwaukee Journal Times editorial calling for a better law to protect people from abusing prescription drugs and, quite frankly, I don't think we need the law at all.  When will we stop allowing the government to protect us from ourselves.  If you want to ruin your life or even die by taking prescription drugs, oh, well.  If you're that stupid, we didn't need you in the gene pool anyway.

If this was a matter of the government making sure a company didn't put a drug on the market that was known to kill one out of every 10 users, then I'd be for it.  But, frankly, I don't need the government to protect me from me.  If I want to run around town, convincing doctors that I need that prescription drug, so be it.

If I have a brain cell left, then I know there are plenty of programs that will put me on the straight and narrow path from drug addiction.  Is it easy - no, it isn't.  But, that which does not kill us, makes us stronger.

I've been on pain medication and I realize that the soothing effects are quite addicting.  I do have an addictive personality, if I didn't, I would've quit smoking for good years ago.  But, despite my stupidity for still being a smoker, I do have enough good sense to know that when I crave the drug for the effect and not the pain in my leg, it was time to stop taking the drug.  Three days after my knee surgery, I was done with the vicodin.


Enough is enough.  It is time we expected everyone to take care of themselves and if they can't, and they die, that's just a sad fact of life.  It may be a little harsh, but only the strong survive and if you're not strong enough, well, they you're out of the gene pool.

No comments: